Local Schools & Churches
Wilsonville's first schoolhouse was the rural "Frog Pond School" built around 1876.
The first in-town school for Wilsonville was the one-room Wilsonville Grade School and was built around 1880 on donated land; the establishment of this school indicates the importance this community placed on getting and having a public education. A larger two-room school replaced it around 1912. A still larger and more modern school replaced it in the mid-1900's (later Wilsonville Grade School became "Wilsonville Primary School"). Wood Middle School opened in 1980 to supplement and broaden the eduation of Wilsonville's growing population.
Wilsonville continued to grow - and in response - Wilsonville High School opened in 1995. Prior to that, many students attended West Linn High School or took the train into Portland to attend high school .
Boeckman Creek Primary School opened in the late 1990's. It was quickly followed by Boones Ferry Primary School, which was built to replace the (sold) Wilsonville Primary School. Thus ended a stretch of 175 years in which there always had been a schoolhouse on the same piece of land.
Church buildings have served the Wilsonville community since the 1870's; they were religious centers as well as community centers. The first church building seems to be the 1880 "Frog Pond Church" (UCC) followed closely by the Stafford Baptist Church in 1890. The first in-town church building was the Methodist Episcopal Church on Boones Ferry Road (1911).
This web site made possible
with a grant provided by Trust Management Services in cooperation with the
City of Wilsonville Public Library, Wilsonville Boones Ferry Historical
Society & Emery Aden. All rights reserved. No photo or other information
may be reproduced without permission of its author.